AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

Fighting 99th Forum

Back to the not-so-dedicated server!

8 years 3 months ago
runny
More
Topic Author
Back to the not-so-dedicated server! #352
I've been itching to play arma again so I got myself and a bunch of others ready to go again.

We can't use Tracer's server anymore (but thanks for hosting us for so long tracer), so in order to play, someone with a good connection has to host it on their own PC.

In order to all connect to the host, we're using a VPN program called Evolve which 'tricks' arma into thinking we're on LAN. We've used this in the past so it's not new to everyone. Also, for those running Win-10, we've discovered a simple fix for the evolve errors you've been getting.

So if anyone wants to get into arma again, the mods are the same, just update them to the most current version as of today (PwS Collection in the other thread) and install evolve from www.evolvehq.com

To be honest, you'll more than likely have issues somewhere along the line, I'm more than willing to help people get everything in order as long as they're willing to stick it out through the process as well.

In the future, when I have my long-awaited fiber connection, I will make this much easier for you guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago
Frollo
More
Back to the not-so-dedicated server! #2553
there is so much i love about the arma series but man is it hard to get going in. Not just the lan side of things, but the game seems to be clearly setup for someone to make a mission, get a bunch of guys and go through it. I would dive into that game if it were nicer for the larger multiplayer crowds. IE Squad, CS, BF. Server browser, dive in, and go.

8 years 3 months ago
runny
More
Topic Author
Back to the not-so-dedicated server! #2554
I agree, it is extremely difficult.

There are some things though, for instance the tactical battlefield servers are pretty decent. They play more realistic PvP missions without the futuristic crap.

My mission is also pretty easy to jump in and go. It's basically sandbox with a map populated by terrorists and all the tools you need to make more missions quickly on the fly. I even play it by myself a lot.

One would think that arma would be chuck full of awesome servers, coop, PvP, missions, gamemodes, the works; but instead it's very hard to find something good going on, never mind good stuff that you're ready to just jump in.

I can't believe how few gaming communities can actually make arma work. Tactical Gamer used to be really fun but it looks like they dumped their mods in favor for ease-of-access, which I think makes them undesirable to access at all for most of the regulars there.

8 years 3 months ago
Frollo
More
Back to the not-so-dedicated server! #2555
i think you just made the point. Someone has to make it work, vs the others that are setup for that in the beginning. The sandbox side is great, but people like me for instance i want to drop in, not necessarily start from behind, play with other people, and be challenged by other people. I think games like falcon, dcs, arma to some extent all suffer from a mission system that can't really adjust to the dynamic changes required for that drop in mentality. Falcon you have to time most things, dcs the server has to reset (could be a limitation in the mission stuff i don't know). The game has a crap ton to give, i want it to succeed. I love all of the realism in it, and how many different things you can do that just feel natural. For me i like how teamwork oriented squad is in that you drop in and are in a push / pull with the opfor to which there is a win criteria that isn't too long making it easier for people like me whose time is limited, to get in, contribute, get rewarded, and go on.

Again not saying arma can't do that, doesn't, won't, etc... just that i want it to work on that casual side as well. I believe you can have the realism and the casual capabilities as well without cheapening the game.

8 years 3 months ago
G-Man
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
Back to the not-so-dedicated server! #2556
Tactical Battlefield has an installer now. The only thing you have to setup is Task Force Radio.

8 years 3 months ago
runny
More
Topic Author
Back to the not-so-dedicated server! #2557
Cool, I actually was playing it a bit yesterday. Not enough teamwork, everyone was radio shy or something so all I knew about what was going on was whatever I saw.

Not bad though, I'd be down for more of it, especially if some of you guys were to join.

PwS actually sets up TFAR for you too.

8 years 3 months ago
G-Man
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
Back to the not-so-dedicated server! #2562
Sweet deal! Im pretty much always down, just let me know.

8 years 3 months ago
runny
More
Topic Author
Back to the not-so-dedicated server! #2563
Well I have this arma itch to satisfy so let's do some TacBF tonight. I should be on around 7.

8 years 3 months ago
G-Man
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
Back to the not-so-dedicated server! #2564
Sounds good

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds