AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

Fighting 99th Forum

Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation

6 years 8 months ago
Zulu
More
Topic Author
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8250
I've been looking for a strategic "simulation" like Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III by Matrix games. Does anyone know of something similar in a modern context?

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago
Fencer
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8251
If you don't mind going hardcore try Command: Modern Air and Naval Operations

6 years 8 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8252

Lol wish I could figure this one out. Hard core is right. I'm Not really good at games like this. Can't even figure out the tutorials. Lol. I have no patience.

6 years 8 months ago
runny
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8254

Yet plays DCS and administrates multiple DCS servers

I don't believe you.

6 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8256
CMANO, Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations, is more focused on the air and sea forces aspect although it does include ground forces. It is really good at simulating naval and air forces and like TOAW is light on the visual candy. TOAW, in my opinion, did the operational ground war side better. CMANO can be scaled up or down to simulate multiple levels of war from tactical control of a single unit to strategic level operations. The thing that really makes CMANO shine is that it is scalable. Want to simulate the last RED Flag PVP mission that the 104th ran last week? Well that is entirely possible in CMANO... not so much with TOAW. If you have ever played Harpoon (tabletop or digital) you will be familiar with how CMANO works. I really like CMANO if you can't tell... Haven't touched TOAW in years.

6 years 8 months ago
Fencer
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8257

If it helps in any way, none of the submarines i sent to attack ever returned. :D

6 years 8 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8258

Nor my F-111s, LOL!

Seriously though, Zulu1, CMANO is one comprehensive, detailed encyclopedia / database which through some very complex statistics comparisons can pit units' capabilities against each other and show you the results, taking into the calculation many variables, as well as the actions of "your own hand" in utilizing and employing the units. The stage? As Vampyre stated; The whole world, or your proverbial back yard, your choice. That's it in a very simplified nutshell.

I would recommend CMANO, as a modern strategic sim. The interface is a bit hard to get to grips with, to start with, but stick with it. CMANO is on sale at the moment on Steam, btw.

Vampyre also mentioned another old favorite of mine; Harpoon. I played it for years. If you can still get it, it is like a "light" version (because it is older, I guess) of CMANO.

That said, the original game you mentioned I think is hex map, right? Not played it, so cannot comment. Hex map is a different story, then...

LOL! Tracer, I unashamedly admit it. It is my fault, again, for talking you into it. How many times have I done this to you before? :D

6 years 8 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8260

No more than I to you my friend!

6 years 8 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8261
Since I can't connect to my own servers I may have to take another shot at it.

6 years 8 months ago
Zulu
More
Topic Author
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8263
First, thanks guys for the suggestion of Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations. I will have to look at that a bit closer. It does look rather hardcore, and I wish it a just a wee bit of eye candy, but we shall see. I think I will have to upgrade the Operational Art of War to IV after reading Vampyre’s statement.
I can’t quite believe that Tracer doesn’t have the patience for this considering what you do in mission design. Even worse, is that Tracer can’t get onto his own servers…

Thanks again,
Zulu

6 years 8 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8264

Hmm. Thinking about it.

By "strategy" I am wondering if you also include the "stand back and administer the big picture" type of sim, too. As in, resources, trades, deals, and everything that gives you the ability to go to the battlefield (or not, as your choice may be). CMANO can actually be quite "tactical", and is certainly military hardware focused, and not so much on the why's of "how we got to this state of foreign affairs" (ie; major donnybrook between nations). I may, of course be misinterpreting completely, but...

Might the Supreme Ruler games be of interest? I've played off and on "Supreme Ruler 2020". It has a bit of the eye-candy, too, and is entertaining enough. Again, though, player interface takes some initial getting used to.

How "real" are you wanting the sim? How detached / involved? There was a game I used to play years ago, which has had a new version out now for a while. Carrier Command. It was great fun back in the day, and what I have seen of the new version looks interesting enough. The minus side was is that the units are "fantasy". I always remember thinking "wouldn't it be better if this game had a Harrier, instead of this hover thing. And a proper Tarawa. That would rule". In any case, I will be getting it, soon enough, I believe. I'll be able to say more on it then, and draw a better comparison with the original.

Just some thoughts...

PS:
;) This being true...

6 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8269

He did say he wanted something similar to TOAW which is not a strategic level simulator. Strategic level sims deal with the how and why but that was not really what was originally ask for when the stated example was TOAW. There are three levels in warfare, strategic, operational and tactical. TOAW simulates the operational art extremely well and I doubt you will find any simulation out there that will top it for it's depth and focus on operational warfare. What really expands its playability is that with TOAW you can readily simulate everything from the Napoleonic Wars to modern day Syria. CMANO was put forward as an alternative(and not a bad one) because, while it can simulate tactical warfare, it can also simulate the operational art as well. CMANO is limited in the fact that it is only a modern sim... well from the 50's to modern day and mainly deals with air and naval forces.

Some other Strategy games I have enjoyed that deal with operational warfare are "War in the Pacific", "Twelve O'clock High", and "Uncommon Valor". I used to do a lot of tabletop games as well such as Harpoon, Tac Air, and Flight Leader. Of course that was back in the days before a computer was a common household machine.

6 years 8 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8270

Precisely, you see this is what confused me and made me think twice. Plus silly me for reading the title of the thread again and seeing the word "Strategic" jump out at me. I've not played TOAW, but looking it up it did not entirely strike me as a true strategic game. That said, TOAW looks kind of interesting for me, too :D .

Do you mean "Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific"? The original 1992 version was so addictive, and it was a true strategy game. I still get flashbacks from it I was so far gone! :shock: This is the reason I never got the remake of it.

You know, I do remember that particular one.

6 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8271

www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=351

I played War in the Pacific during my down time while on cruise. It was always a challenge to keep the supplies and units flowing to where they needed to go to. I stopped playing when I defeated Japan with a land invasion... yes, it was a very bloody affair... nukes were definitely the better way to go.

6 years 8 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8290

Yep, that's the "remake" of it, all right. I'd probably have to quit my job and disappear into a cave for a year if I got that. :D

I used to try playing as the Japs, mostly. I'd get all their fantastic heavy cruisers together by class, assign the TF's to admirals I knew to be historically capable guys, and go on a rampage with the carrier TFs before the might of US war machine gathered itself together and started rolling. Sooner or later, you'd have a "Midway" or "Guadalcanal" somewhere else, no matter how many "Savo Islands" you could manage to dispense, and it was all downhill from there. The stone in the shoe, the stumbling block, was invariably the logistic demands of the inconclusive China theater. Two front wars. Nope, the Japs couldn't have won, by any fluke. Only made their defeat costly, as they did.

The nukes, aye. They saw that clearly enough, then. :)

6 years 8 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8295
Have you considered "cold waters"

Some interesting videos on you tube. Recently released. Has some eye candy. I'm thinking about it.

6 years 8 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8298

+1 here. :)

6 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Strategic Modern Warfare Simulation #8301
I was watching my brother play cold waters through steam last night. I don't like that there is no MP, you can't yet play as the Russians and the surface forces are not controllable. It's kind of arcade with the outside views but looked like fun... until he sank himself on a campaign... twice lol.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds