The Fighting 99th Air Wing

AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

AV-8B Mavericks

6 years 2 months ago
Molasses
More
Topic Author
AV-8B Mavericks #9206
I am having a terrible time ground stabilizing the Mavericks. My current process for targeting and shooting a stationary target is as follows:

DMT LST in Right MFD
Acquire target
Uncage Maverick- it slaves to DMT

At this point the Pocket guide says you hit he TDC Button Down-Action button to lock target but this doesn't happen for me and I believe this is the bug.

What I have to do to lock the target is to unslave the MAV by Selector Switch up to IRMV mode then move the Mav seeker manually ... however when I do this it always goes too far one direction and does not lock... I move it back and it goes too far or latches to a building or other object near by. This is utterly frustrating. All the while you are getting closer to your target. A shot that should have been taken at 7 miles is now down to 3 because I can't get the target locked.

Is anyone else having these issues? What solutions or work arounds have you found that are useful? I love the AV-8B but I also find the stand off precision strike capability extremely limited in the initial release. Just want to see if anyone has any better solutions for this problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 2 months ago
LokiV7
More
AV-8B Mavericks #9207
re: maverick - after the LST spots/selects a target, and after the cage/uncage button shows the maverick's TV on the left, i hit sensor select up to get it in IRMV (with the box around it in the HUD) mode, and then try to fly very still/stable, press the TDC down/action, and it'll usually lock whatever was initially targeted by the laser.

6 years 2 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
AV-8B Mavericks #9210
The Mavericks are definitely a work in progress, eventually I'm sure they'll ground stabilize on their own as they should be able to, but for now most of their employment relies on extremely steady flying like Loki said. If you're close enough and you press that "action position" button, it should lock up, but since no WEZ is displayed that almost never happens for me and I just end up flying straight in to the target and keep dragging the Maverick's crosshairs over the target until I get it to latch.

6 years 2 months ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
AV-8B Mavericks #9211
I only started with the MAVs the past weekend, but here's my checklist that I was successful with (with the current release version we have):

Master Arm on
A/G Mode
Warm Mavs
TMS Aft Twice to enable TV
Point Nose to TGT Area
Slew TDC to specific TGT
Lock TGT
Uncage MAV
TMS Forward Twice to enable IRMV
Action Button until MAV lock
Rifle

If you're more than 10NM away from TGT the MAV seems to have trouble, once withing the 10NM I start pressing the action button every 3 to 5 seconds until I get lock. Not sure if all that above is the cleanest way, but that is what I was working over the weekend.

6 years 2 months ago
Molasses
More
Topic Author
AV-8B Mavericks #9213
Thanks everyone... I will give those suggestions a shot (rifle).

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds