DCS: F/A-18C

6 years 9 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
DCS: F/A-18C #7899
Looks like they are showing it off at E3 2017 with more info to come after the show.
forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3152953#post3152953

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
DCS: F/A-18C #7901
Interesting note from TM:

“After the success of our first collaboration with Eagle Dynamic SA on DCS: A-10C Warthog, that lead to the HOTAS Warthog, we are proud to start a new collaboration on the DCS: F/A-18C Hornet”, says Gilles Raulet, Thrustmaster Development Director.

F-18 HOTAS a possibility? HOTAS Hornet (somebody should try to trademark that now...)

6 years 9 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
DCS: F/A-18C #7906
It's hard to tell whether they're suggesting cooperation on the level they did in making the Warthog HOTAS to complement A-10C or if they're just thinking them for supplying their E3 booth with existing HOTAS kit to showcase the product.

I decided I'm not getting excited about anything until I see the words "Thrustmaster H.O.T.A.S. Hornet" (or something akin to it) printed in an official manner somewhere.

6 years 9 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8016
So it's day one of E3 and the only solid information I have so far is that Thrustmaster is indeed making an F/A-18 stick and the F/A-18C module looks extremely polished. All the info I've seen about it is stuff people posted to various DCS Facebook groups so I can't link it here. It's probably on the ED forums by now too.

6 years 9 months ago
Vader
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8017

6 years 9 months ago
Vader
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8018
If you look in the background of the video you can see what looks like a F-18 stick on a TM base!

6 years 9 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
DCS: F/A-18C #8019
Yes, it does look like a Hornet stick. The guy's flying was giving me an aneurism....Terrible, but at least he didn't lawndart it.

6 years 9 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8020

Oh yeah..

It occurred to me with E3's practice of only allowing game industry people (and this year a very select few "dedicated fans" who probably had to pay 3x ticket price) to get in that at the very least 90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C module there have never even heard of DCS or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash. Meanwhile all of us have been waiting the better part of a decade to get our hands on it.

If that doesn't illustrate what a cruel and unfair world we live in, I don't know what does.

6 years 9 months ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8021

..Let the hate flow through you...(may need to update my sig with that quote)

The video is sped up right? Seemed like it was also "controlled" somehow...like when the kid would look back we never saw beyond 90 degrees, like never looked back over the wings. I may have missed it, I did skip through the vid...

I did like what I saw...HUD lighting and reflections/color distortion looked fantastic. Hornet stick in the glass box = look what we have, but don't touch because it's no where near done (ie apple smoke and mirrors). But I can't imagine it is too hard to move from Warthog to Hornet considering how and what the warthog is.

6 years 9 months ago
Moose
Premium Member
Premium Member
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8022

Keep in mind that with VR you have much wider field of vision. So in the headset he could see Vertically and Horizontally much more than that of the mirror image.

6 years 9 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8023

Hahaha

It's also worth noting there's an extra degree of hatred involved because I will literally be a matter of minutes away from E3 tomorrow when I drive my mom to her infusion which will take 3-4+ hours. So instead of going to see the Hornet and the Hornet stick-in-a-box or getting my first shot at DCS in VR, I'll probably end up spending several hours sitting in the car developing a blood clot.

I didn't pay too much attention to what any of the people were doing in the sim, after 5 seconds of watching any of the videos it seemed clear that none of them knew what the hell they were doing. I'm sure if they would've turned all the way around it would work, they're just lazy and don't want to do the extra work to go beyond 50-ish degrees. They're terrible people, after all... :lol:

6 years 9 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8036
[BBvideo=560,315]
[/BBvideo]

Totally awkward interview at E3 with Wags and a young woman who has no previous knowledge of or current interest in anything to do with DCS or the F/A-18C. But hey, she's obviously brute forcing her way through the entire show and interviewing everything and anything so hats off to her for that. One of the only semi-professional productions that will actually pay any attention to their booth, I'm sure.

And you just wanna punch that douchebag Rory in the mouth.. Ooooh, the fucking plane responds when you give it input on the stick! (And it is a stick, not a yoke. An extra punch for that..) Forget how it performs or the systems modelling or the FM fidelity, I for one have been waiting so long just to hear that the stick does what it's supposed to when it's supposed to.

Bottom line, great video for seeing Wags in the exact same position we've all been in when you're trying to explain DCS to a female acquaintance of yours and she has zero interest so you feel like a schmuck. Pretty crap video for learning anything about the F/A-18C module but the camera work was definitely better than all the shaky, portrait-orientation cell phone videos so at least you can see the screen better.

6 years 9 months ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8037
....and she wonders why no one gives her any details............................

HAHAHAHA...so much struggle. Worse than that - HAWSS and I work together now; and our leadership knows that we play the sim together (my fault, I told them). But it is always super awkward to try to explain what DCS is...always starts by someone asking, "So do you play like COD together?"...and ends with me saying something to the effect, "we play planes together".

Dying...so. much. contempt. Lol I do feel WAG's pain though - trying to hype something that only 1% of the community there cares about; did see him cringe a few times. Also - could we try to hide the desktop icons behind the video screen a little better? Nice shot of the Hornet Stick too...

6 years 9 months ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8054
From WAGS
[BBvideo=560,315]
[/BBvideo]

6 years 9 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8055

:lol:

How many times did she say it? LOL!

Actually, it wasn't too bad, at least she tried!

PS: The stick, of course, doesn't interest me at all, for reasons everybody almost certainly know already, and are most probably sick of hearing about :D

PPS: Just watched the other, proper demo video. Very nice.

6 years 9 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8056

lol yeah, she did give it a genuine effort I thought. That "DCS/military aviation appreciation gene" just isn't switched on. Plus she was talking some shit on that Rory character. Lame as it was, I think at least it means she recognized a douchebag in her midst and had the appropriate reaction.

Wags's actual video definitely gave us a lot more to study. I'm wondering if the all-Sidewinder loadout was just something to "Keep It Simple, Stupid" for all the E3 nubs or if it might have something to do with not having the A-A radar in a state to cue anything longer ranged or more seeker-sophisticated. But overall things are looking very much finished on the surface, and with quality worthy of an A-10C successor.

6 years 9 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8062

LOL! Now let's see if our gene is switched on. Quick, without looking at the video again;

What was her name? Did she tell us? Can't remember?

Your gene is switched ON!

Just thinking again about the 4th AS upgrade aircraft, to go all NATO in our flights...

Does it look anything like the AV8B, with its AGM-122 and the F-18C with HARMs might come out almost simultaneously, or not? Our test pilot Squid is going to have a job with the upcoming evaluation programs on two types, soon! :D

6 years 9 months ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8080
...somewhat related but still note worthy. F/A-18E moved off the mark and grabbed it's first A2A kill.

www.military.com/daily-news/2017/06/18/u...su22-over-syria.html

6 years 9 months ago
JINX
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
DCS: F/A-18C #8114
F/A-18C just received it's dedicated ED Forum page:
forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=557

6 years 9 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
DCS: F/A-18C #8124
Looks like the Fighter Attack Guys have been whipped up into a frenzy over on the ED forums because of the new F/A-18 section... lol... Fighter Attack Guys... :roll: I guess it really is the little things that make everyone happy.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds