The Fighting 99th Air Wing

AIR : LAND : SEA : FIGHT!

EWR issues

6 years 11 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Topic Author
EWR issues #7356
Yeah, seems every time I get down to making a mission, I run into something that is broken or (perhaps) deliberately not functioning. I need some scrutinizing of what I have been up to here, to see what I might have missed.

Issue, can't get any answer from my EWR site in the UH-1, F-5E, or F-86. Here are some screenies...

Right here, I'm setting the frequency for the BLUE EWR site, AM 334 MHz...

Right here I'm in the F-5E trying to contact them...

As you can see, it is all set correctly. Manually set frequency, selector on MANUAL, set on MAIN, for transmit and receive. EWR doesn't answer. What's more, I don't even speak when I select the PICTURE or BOGEY DOPE selections. Or any other, for that matter, from the AWACS (EWR) menu.

Just to test it isn't broke or if my procedure was wrong, I tried contacting Nellis on their frequency, and got a reply immediately.

At least on the F-5E I get the AWACS menu from the radio button when the EWR is in the scenario. Even though I know it isn't right, I have tried setting the EWR on 334 FM in ME, and also the preselected mode from the radio presets. No joy.

On the F-86 or the UH-1 it is worse. I don't even get the AWACS option from the radio button. On the UH-1 I have even tried the FM COMS set, with the appropriate frequency set for the EWR site. Still no joy.

Is it on purpose or bust by the update(s)? I am almost sure I was able to get AWACS on at least the F-5E before.

Almost sure...

This is a function that is a bit important to the mission I am making, so if this is not working, it'll probably go back on the shelf (again).

Any help or comment appreciated, please. Thanks, guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 11 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
EWR issues #7364
I've never tried to use the radio calls with an EWR before and I don't recall seeing anyone do so successfully, I think it may just be that the EWR simply doesn't work like the AWACS does where the radio is concerned. I've only seen it used to supply information for the Su-27/33/MiG-29 datalinks. Is using an AWACS totally out of the question?

6 years 11 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Topic Author
EWR issues #7367
Thanks for the reply pyro.

I remember I used to include the 1L13 EWR for GCI in my "homebrew" training scenarios, back when the MiG-21 was a new module. I tried that again, and was able to communicate with it as per normal...

It says "AWACS", but it is actually the EWR site I'm talking to here...

So, for the F-5E, I thought I might try this suggestion.

And now I am just about sure something is decidedly not quite right here. I don't even get the AWACS (a real airborne AWACS, not the EWR) on the coms menu...

At least I was getting the (land based) EWR on the menu for the F-5. This is weird. I'm pretty certain I've seen it work before on the F-5E... :blink:

Am I going nuts, is it DCS/ED, or both? :silly:

:s

6 years 11 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
EWR issues #7369
The plot thickens...

Yeah, I don't know. DCS/ED has a million little things like that to gently remind us of their spite for us. Someone more qualified like Tracer or Shadow might be able to tell you if this is one of those.

6 years 11 months ago
shadow
More
EWR issues #7371
I apologize being the bearer of bad news, but I don't believe EWRs will work as an AWACs provider to any NATO aircraft. The reason behind this, cuz ED likes to make things difficult for no reason.

6 years 11 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Topic Author
EWR issues #7375
Hmm. Interesting. OK, I'll see what options and alternatives there are, as the problem seems unlikely to go away.

Thanks for the replies! :)

6 years 11 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
EWR issues #7390
Isn't there another action to start transmission? You set the freq, but did not turn it on.

I'm not in front of my puter so could be my recollection is off.

6 years 11 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
Topic Author
EWR issues #7393

Possible. I'll look into that. I thought the EWR or AWACS waypoint action turned it on.

6 years 11 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
EWR issues #7394
I may be thinking of radio broadcast stations. You can set up troops and stuff that can broadcast audio. I use it in "remember the alamo"

You can listen to music in that mission if you tune to the right freq. (In mission briefing, I think 315am)

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds