Fighting 99th Forum

4/2/17 - Two Weeks in Review

6 years 11 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Topic Author
4/2/17 - Two Weeks in Review #7308
Howdy, F99th and Friends!

We've got a couple more weeks down for the count, so it's time for another recap of what's happened and what's going to happen in F99th/DCS-land. Here's what I've got for y'alls:
  1. 51st "Bisons" Air-to-Air Squadron Match
  2. Red Flag Rumble Round 2 (MiG-21 vs. F-5)
  3. Ravens Fighter Championship
  4. Heatblur Q1 2017 Update (F-14 and Viggen)
  5. Normandy 1944 Map - Preview with Su-25 Part 1

51st "Bisons" Air-to-Air Squadron Match

We are scheduled for a straight-up air-to-air 6v6-ish shootout the 22nd of April versus the Redfor gentlemen of the 51st "Bisons." See the thread here for more details.

Red Flag Rumble, Round 2

The second round of Red Flag Rumble, a MiG-21 vs. F-5 combined A-A/A-G event is slated to take place on Sunday, the 23rd of April at 19:00 GMT (2:00 PM CDT). See thread here for more information or to sign up as a MiG-21 or a reserve for the F-5. We already have Vampyre, Moose (formerly known as TSCRO), Kraut, and AmesKahn signed up and representing us. I hope you'll join me in wishing them the best of luck and to have a great time! Can't wait to see what you guys come away with.

Ravens Fighter Championship

In the interest of keeping more up to speed with the goings-on of the larger DCS multiplayer community, I did a quick perusal of the "tournaments" section of the ED forums and found something called "Ravens Fighter Championship" hosted by the 59th "Ravens" VFS. Short story is that it's a "sudden death" tournament for groups of 4 who will face off with each other over the course of several meetings until there is only one team that remains undefeated. The first round takes place next weekend on April 15th and 16th, followed by the grand finale the following Saturday, April 22nd. At this point I think they're only taking sign-ups for the reserve list, but even if you don't intend to join they may have a livestream or something to watch and enjoy some good old fashioned DCS air brawls. See thread here for more info.

Heatblur Q1 2017 Update

As Vampyre posted in the F-14 thread a couple days ago, HB released an update which covered their current points of focus for the time being. Naturally, that pretty much means refinements for the VIggen and development for the Tomcat. Aside from a laundry list of fixes and refinements for AJS-37, of particular note was a subsection dedicated to their efforts to implement the necessary infrastructure to support the famed highway operations that the Viggen was designed for. There's a little more to it than a "version of a FARP for Viggen," which is what I was expecting. Regardless, it will make a very welcome addition to the Viggen's repertoire indeed. On the F-14 side of things, nothing much of substance was said other than the fact that they are at the point of delving deep in to the modeling of various avionic systems like the RWR and such. They included a very pleasing visualization of the AWG-9 radar beam sweeping out various combinations of bar and width scan patterns and some screenshots of AIM-9M launches. Definitely brought up the "I got tone, I got tone! Firing!" with that weird high-pitched whistle launch sound from Top Gun flashback for me. Another highlight included a couple of screenshots of the TCS in action which was actually more exciting than I had expected. As much as I'm used to zooming all the way in with my slider axis on my throttle to VID my targets, I think it'll be really nice to have an embedded camera system automatically do that and give an instant VID. See the thread here if you haven't already.

Normandy 1944 Map Preview with Su-25, Part 1

ED released (via Facebook) an unedited video of doing some Su-25A flying in the Normandy map, illustrating the viability of at least most of the modern modules to take off, land, and do the rest of their usual business on this beautiful map. By my eye, the Frogfoot-A seems to handle the runway comfortably, so just about everything besides maybe the Su-25T should be perfectly capable of taking off with a normal combat load. And WWII-fan or not, the scenery of flying low over those hedgerows is undeniably fantastic. See the video (if you can, because it's Facebook and they will stop at nothing to get you to sign up and forfeit all your personal details) here . If anyone else has a non-Facebook link, please share it. I was unable to find one while preparing for this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 11 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Topic Author
4/2/17 - Two Weeks in Review #7309
Oh, also JF-17 by Deka Ironworks Simulations confirmed (not officially, but with the following picture..), assuming they get approval from ED:

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17553554_252882868508184_4708965241281958495_n.jpg?oh=c76c83a95457f049b1e65aaf7a1b9498&oe=59516669

(for reference of a two-seater JF-17)

The fuselage strakes seem a bit too large to me, don't you think?

6 years 11 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
4/2/17 - Two Weeks in Review #7310

That's because the top picture is of a JH-7 Flounder.

6 years 11 months ago
pyromaniac4002
More
Topic Author
4/2/17 - Two Weeks in Review #7311
Ah yep, there are the big strakes.. Sonofabitch.

So it's going to be a PLANAF anti-surface platform, hmm? As mildly enthused as I was about a multirole JF-17, my enthusiasm has become even more mild about a JH-7 But what the hell, if they make it and it's up to DCS standards I'll end up buying it.

6 years 11 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
4/2/17 - Two Weeks in Review #7312
Yeah, I don't really think these guys will get anywhere with these projects. There are a lot of teams out there that want to do DCS aircraft but few turn out to actually have the capability to meet the standards required.

The JH-7 is the one Chinese plane I would like to see in game that is less meh than the others... everything else is meh.

6 years 11 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
4/2/17 - Two Weeks in Review #7314
At first glance, for a second I thought that silhouette was a Mitsubishsi T-2! LOL! Not been following this little episode of the new module project proposal, so it is news to me.

Hmm. The Flounder has some SEAD capability, yes? ;) I'm not too "up" on Chinese combat aircraft, but had reason to scan through the "menu" a few weeks ago when one randomly popped up on an aviation recognition thread on Mudspike (I think it was this exact same one, in fact) and foxed me completely. :lol:

And I didn't have to go into the confessional to get to see the video on FaceBook. That Normandy map looks pretty cool.

Thanks yet again pyro!

6 years 11 months ago
TracerFacer
Administrator
Administrator
More
4/2/17 - Two Weeks in Review #7318
seems like an odd choice to me.

I'll probably buy it anyway.. cuz I don't have enough DCS aircraft that I don't fly. :)

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds