ASM Action

8 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
ASM Action #99
It would be nice to get some Anti-Ship Missiles in DCS. I guess the best hope is the F/A-18C or AJ-37 Viggen if Leatherneck is indeed building it. Has anyone else just made a mission where opposing fleets slug it out in DCS? I really got a kick out of that.

This is my "BOOM" Stick!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 8 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
ASM Action #1090
Ya, I have made a couple of anti-shipping missions before for my own entertainment, normally with the object of delivering S-25 rockets with the SU-25, after considerable expenditure and evasion of SM-1MRs from the target, and on one occasion tried it with a couple of Groms from the MiG-21. I am very fond of this sort of thing, and likewise hope for something that carries a couple of Harpoons (I would settle for Exocets and a Super Etendard, for some Falklands fun - ahem, sorry "Malvinas", I forget where I am - wink).

That aside - and I was chatting with Pyro a few weeks ago about it - I feel that a really good, detailed ASW platform like the Orion or Viking, or even the old Nimrod or Atlantique is perhaps missing, with MAD, acoustic, TACCO (no, don't get hungry again, please) stations and all the cooperation required from a MP crew for hunting some sneaky SSBN. The sort of thing that would really work on DCS, given time - and some very active development for the underwater environment - I add. There are a host of helo's that would be awesome, as well. I have always been somewhat intrigued by aerial ASW operations with all the associated intricacies.

Pyro mentioned some game Dangerous Waters; I have not tried it yet, but it may or may not be up to expectations. I'll look into it some time.

8 years 8 months ago
Vampyre
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
ASM Action #1092
I prefer Command Modern Air Naval Operations over Dangerous Waters. I played a lot of Harpoon (paper, pencil miniatures game) with my brother growing up and picked up the computer games as well. CMANO combines the best of the no longer officially supported Harpoon series and improves upon it. Dangerous waters has actual models of its planes and ships which CMANO doesn't have. For me, eye candy is not a requirement. CMANO does have a much larger database (ships, land units and aircraft) and a real world map which means you can play out any scenario you can imagine from the Himalayas, the Marianas trench, Antarctica, The United States... even Ecuador.

I've recently been tinkering with an airfield attack scenario using a mid-80's CVW (Tomcats, A-7's, A-6E's, EA-6B's, and E-2C's). I also put in an FB-111A armed with AGM-69A's for when I start to lose....

8 years 8 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
ASM Action #1097
Command, yeah. Had my eye on it for a while, as I am, too, an ex Harpoon fan. The only reason I got E:D as my last purchase off Steam instead of CMANO was because E:D was on sale, plus I am also an old Elite fan. I'll take your suggestion as an added recommendation.

8 years 8 months ago
G-Man
Elite Member
Elite Member
More
ASM Action #1103
Here the website War is Boring uses Command as a tool to test the F35 vs Su35. I havnt finished reading it yet but here is the link

medium.com/war-is-boring/don-t-think-the...ar-game-fc10706ba9f4

8 years 5 months ago
Cygon_Parrot
More
ASM Action #2039
Apologies for the necropost, it is just to say Command Modern Air Naval Operations is kind of like the best thing since sliced bread for me. Getting used to the interface took about eight hours of play, but once there, it was well worth the time it took, which was basically spent equating its controls to my old favorite, Harpoon. Just working on a home-brew custom scenario emulating part of an historic conflict, Operation Trikora. The capability to create any scenario anywhere over the whole globe and within the Cold War to present time-frame is impressive.

One hell of a fun military database, in short! Thanks for the recommendation, I am totally hooked.

8 years 5 months ago
Sweeper
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More
ASM Action #2040
Its a fun game, and even more fun with 500kt warheads.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds